Elk Grove Tornado Clean Up Effort Update | Community
Elk Grove, CA – A small tornado touched down in southeast Elk Grove yesterday afternoon at approximately 4:50 p.m. in the Clarke Farms area, damaging more than 50 homes, several vehicles, and at least one commercial building.
As of this morning, there are no known injuries and the roadways are clear for vehicle traffic. There is substantial damage to buildings, trees and other vegetation in the immediate area.
The City of Elk Grove Public Works Department and Building Departments are on site supporting initial clean-up and damage assessment efforts.
The City of Elk Grove will provide multiple dumpsters to the affected areas so residents have a method to remove debris. Locations include:
- Mainline Drive and Roedell Way
- Rhone River Drive and Roan Ranch Circle
- Rhone River Drive and Sauterne Way
The City of Elk Grove is offering this service free-of-charge to residents in the affected areas to expedite the cleanup.
Residents are highly encouraged to contact their homeowners’ insurance companies to file claims for weather-related property damage. Residents should be wary of unsolicited and unlicensed vendors offering discounted repair services in the area.
As a reminder to homeowners with swimming pools who had their fences blown down, it is the homeowner’s responsibility to secure their property if there is an imminent danger to the public. The City of Elk Grove’s Code Enforcement Department can work with property owners to assist with fence repair. The homeowner would be responsible for the cost associated with the repair.
The National Weather Service will be in the area this afternoon to further assess the damage.
For more information contact the City of Elk Grove’s Ask Elk Grove information line at 916-691-CITY (2489).
Source: City of Elk Grove
Upcoming Events near Elk Grove
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Recipe: Quinoa, Egg & Veggie Breakfast Bites (and a Breakfast Challenge!)
- Dining News: Aji Japanese Bistro in El Dorado Hills 'Still Finding Its Voice'
- UPDATE: 4th of July Lake Tahoe fireworks show will continue
- Complete list of school closures for Tuesday, April 1, 2014
- Calif. snowpack survey forebodes tough summer
- All Mixed Up: A Mixed Media Exhibit
- Assemblyman Ken Cooley, Sacramento Children’s Museum Host 2nd Annual Earth Day Celebration
- Couple arrested after baby's death deemed homicide
- Man gets 16 to life in murder in front of Rancho Cordova pet store
- Sprint shuttering Rancho Cordova call center, cutting 240 jobs