4 tornadoes confirmed in valley | News
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA, CA - Four of the funnel clouds that swirled over the northern Sacramento Valley Monday were tornadoes, confirmed the National Weather Service.
The first touched down at Mallard Lake Golf Course along Highway 99 just south of Yuba City at approximately 3 p.m. NWS classified it as an EF 1 tornado with wind speeds up to 100 mph. The golf course and buildings were damaged.
There was an E0 tornado in the Browns Valley/Palermo/Bangor area east of Highway 70 in a rice field at Spring Valley and Joines roads. Winds were an estimated 70 to 80 mph and the twister traveled about 100 feet, according to NWS. It was reported at 4:10 p.m.
NWS meteorologist Jim Matthews said a third twister was confirmed in Elk Grove near Grantline and Waterman roads at approximately 4:50 p.m. It traveled about one mile in a northeasterly direction, with winds of 90 to 100 mph, making it an EF1 event.
According to Elk Grove police and city officials and the Cosumnes Fire District, there were 52 homes and one commercial building damaged as well as several vehicles in the Clarke Farms area.
Matthews said they have determined a fourth, EF1 tornado struck in Nevada County at 5:30 p.m. It touched down near Highway 49 near Combie Road and traveled about four miles to the northeast. Tree trunks were snapped and power lines were blown down.
News10 Chief Metorologist Monica Woods said it was unusual to have so many twisters and with at least one of them, the tornado in Elk Grove, there was no associated rain.
NWS issued the first tornado warning at 2:33 p.m. Monday in south central Butte County and northern Yuba County. The last of seven warnings expired at 7:15 p.m. in Placer County (including Auburn, Foresthill and Colfax), Nevada County and northwest El Dorado County.
According to NWS, the three EF1 tornadoes were the most recorded in one day in the area since Doppler radar was invented in the early 1990s.
Upcoming Events near Elk Grove
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Recipe: Quinoa, Egg & Veggie Breakfast Bites (and a Breakfast Challenge!)
- Dining News: Aji Japanese Bistro in El Dorado Hills 'Still Finding Its Voice'
- UPDATE: 4th of July Lake Tahoe fireworks show will continue
- Complete list of school closures for Tuesday, April 1, 2014
- Calif. snowpack survey forebodes tough summer
- All Mixed Up: A Mixed Media Exhibit
- Assemblyman Ken Cooley, Sacramento Children’s Museum Host 2nd Annual Earth Day Celebration
- Couple arrested after baby's death deemed homicide
- Man gets 16 to life in murder in front of Rancho Cordova pet store
- Sprint shuttering Rancho Cordova call center, cutting 240 jobs